Friday, January 7, 2011

day 6 on day 7

I have always liked how a certain advice columnist addressed her audience as "gentle readers" I have been thinking of a clever way of saying "hello" to whoever might be reading this, any suggestions would be carefully considered and much appreciated:)  You may have noticed that I missed yesterday.  I can make no excuses except that I don't actually have my own computer and I alternate between using my room-mates computer (who is a busy student) and my work computer (which for obvious reasons isn't totally appropriate for blogging but what can I say I am a rebel).  Which is why I am choosing to "monetize" this blog. I know those ads can be annoying but don't let it dissuade you from reading. My understanding is that basically if someone clicks on the ad then I get a small pittance. The blog should still be free to read.

I want to thank everyone for their comments...It is encouraging and inspiring and much appreciated.  One comment in particular got me to thinking about my younger years, and my involvment in music.  Joette your touch with the Ivories was always so soothing to my soul.  I will forever cherish those memories.  As most of you know I grew up in an environment where music was a constant.  Whether it be my mother's lovely Alto, or my father leading a sing-a-long around the campfire with his guitar.  I was blessed with consistently being musically fed.  I myself was a mediocre violist, I dabbled in violin and piano and I sing with a soft tenor.  When I was 21 or 22 I sold my viola and completely stopped singing.  I think this broke my parents hearts.  I also think it did significant damage to my own heart.  When I made those "sales" I justified my actions with "I need to pay rent." Truthfully, I chose to pay for my cigarette habit, and my growing fondness for alcohol.  These actions are a prime example of "instant gratification," a classic symptom of  addicitive personality disorder.  It struck me that today I almost fell into the same pattern. You see today is payday and I am really just pennies away from having enough saved for a new computer. And if I compromised on another debt then I could buy a computer. However it would not be the one I really want and I know would regret buying it later.

I have to cut this posting short. Later this evening I will Post for Day 7...Cheers to you all and still going strong:)

2 comments:

  1. Very insightful writing Levi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your selling your viola and the basic lack of music was a symptom of your generally misery. You were not YOU and were trying to get rid of all memory of that person. Now that you are coming back to you, I think it poignant that one of your first purchases was a violin.

    ReplyDelete